Monday, February 22, 2010

Complicated

A/N: Another AU fic. Yes, people. I'm sure you have to be sick of it by now. Buuut.... well, unfortunately I need to get my head out of this.

Especially since I managed to get my hand on a Devil May Cry 4 Artbook... which btw, contains more DMC3 than 4, urrgh. Now, I don't really know if I should feature Nero in this, since he's a good few years younger than Dante, and I'm using the DMC3 ver. of Dante in this AU. (University life, ppl! I wanna throw myself off a roof! XD)

Life is only bearable when you either smash up some innocent, unsuspecting stuff, or you have good ole Dante around to put the fun and sex in your life. XD
____________________________________________________________________

Complicated
Imagine school life, work and a shit-load of assignments out to get you. Combine that with love and some demons, and what do you get? A very complicated life indeed. AU DanteXOC
____________________________________________________________________

Complicated
MazdaKitsune
Chapter 1- Encounter

"It's a super hot day today....."

The girl with the red dress-shirt and jeans complained to herself as she slung her dark blue bag over her shoulder, on which the Netherlands flag was displayed on one side. A red file rested in her arm as she made her way to the food-mall in front of the University, emerald eyes squinting in the bright sunlight. A small frown rested on her lips as she laboriously walked out into the sun to avoid the throng of students crowding the corridor, flipping out a pink cell-phone and speed dialling a number. Yes, it was a very hot day, and Jade wasn't feeling so happy as she trudged to the mall with the only intention of getting herself a bottle of chilled water.

"Hello?" A female voice answered after the third ring.

"Hey, Aylen? It's Jade. I feel really stupid for asking this, but... where's our class supposed to be again?"

"Tutorial Room 12."

"That... would be at Block B, wouldn't it?"

"Did the holidays mess with your sense of direction again?" Aylen asked mildly, but there was a hint of teasing in her voice. "Yes, it's in Block B."

"Right, I'll see you in a few. Thanks." Jade sighed and stowed her phone away in her jeans pocket before letting out a soft cough. That's it, no more walking around in the sun for me.... Just the day before, she had been helping out a friend deliver brochures advertising some new product (with a special discount and mystery gift, if you're one of the lucky 50 that call this number now! And insert cheesy voice and smile here) under the scorching hot sun for two whole hours just to cover their territory. The pay wasn't much, but it had been her friend, and she felt obliged to help him.

Besides, she needed the exercise anyway. She was getting a bit fat around the edges.......

She coughed again as she made it into the cool confines of the mall and headed straight for the convenience store to grab a chilled bottle of water the fridge. The mall wasn't a large shopping mall with posh shoe stores, and chic boutiques. It was a mini food mall, with lots of cafes on the ground floor, catering to the students and lecturers of the University plus the workers from nearby offices. Whoever decided to build that food-mall was a definite genius, and was probably going to be a millionaire in a few years time; the food was really quite pricey. It did have a cellphone shop, a computer store, a cyber cafe and a hair saloon on the ground floor as well, the first and second floors were reserved for the University's Hospitality and Tourism Faculty.

"That'll be one dollar, please." The girl at the counter said with a cheery smile on her face.

Shit. This wasn't good. Jade only had a fifty dollar note in her purse. "Um... hold on for a sec..." Hurriedly unzipping her bag, she felt around for her coin pouch and began fumbling around inside it for some coins. A tickle had started in her throat, and she was desperate to just open the bottle and take a gulp of water.

"Don't bother, I have an extra dollar to spare."

An arm reached out over her and she looked up at the male who had just spoken.... and paid for her water. Cerulean eyes looked down at her, and she vaguely recognized the silver hair was just as attention catching as the male's roguishly handsome looks. A smile broke out on his face and he handed her the cold bottle, winking slightly. "It's a hot day out there. You'd better start drinking the cold water before it turns warm."

"Thanks," Jade said slowly, placing the coin pouch back into her bag and zipping it up before taking the bottle from him. "I'll pay you back once I break down this fifty dollar note."

"Nah, it's fine." The male followed her out of the shop and leaned against the glass, shoving a hand in his pocket. He wore a red tank top and black khaki pants, colours that were as eye catching as the red dress-shirt she wore. "You're Jade, right? I remember you from the orientation week. You're the only girl that wasn't afraid to jump right in and have fun with the seniors. But you had straight hair back then."

He reached out, grasped a lock of her ebony hair, and she flushed slightly red, lowering the bottle that she was drinking from. "Yeah, I got into the Korean hairstyles after watching a few dramas... You're Dante, aren't you? You and your twin brought your dad to argue out the fact that your natural hair colour is white."

"Hey, hey. It's silver, babe. Not white. There's a difference there." Dante grinned from his 6' height, something that Jade lamented as she looked up at him, only being 5'3''. God, he was so much taller than her..... "That hairstyle looks good on you. Gives off a whole innocence vibe."

"I'm far from innocent." Jade snorted, but she couldn't help grinning back at him. "I suppose I should be getting to class. God knows how much time I've already wasted out here."

"Could I get your number before you go?" Dante joked, and was given a shove on his shoulder that nearly made him lose his balance.
____________________________________________________________________

The class seemed almost empty when Jade entered, her eyes settling on the golden-haired sitting at the table with a laptop open in front of her. "Hey, Aylen."

"Hey, Jade." Aylen replied, almond-shaped hazel eyes looking up and resting calmly on the shorter girl. "Class got cancelled. Come on, don't give me that shocked face," she protested when she received a shocked look and a dropped jaw. "I've already had five to ten people give me the exact same expression when they walked in. There's a list back there, go write down your name so our lecturer knows you at least turned up for class."

"It's not like I skip class all the time," Jade whined as she dropped down in a chair beside Aylen. "Why did I even wake up for today? English was cancelled in the morning, but at least the lecturer emailed us. Now I come all the way here just to find out that Business Comm. is off to? I should have just stayed in bed."

"Jaaaddiiieee!" Hands landed on her sides and she gave a squeal before shooting up and turning round to glare at the mischievous blond that had given her a tickle shock.

"Sorina!"

"Hey you!" Sorina giggled and hugged her before promptly taking the chair that her friend had shot out of. "I missed you, you know that? Holidays just wasn't the same without you!"

"I know, sorry. I was busy working and all." Jade reached over and plucked a blue pen from behind Sorina's ear and wandered over to the table right behind them to write down her name and matrix card number on the list. A slightly plump boy sighed in patient exasperation, his table having become something akin to an autograph booth, and she gave him an apologetic look. "Sorry, Ed. Anyway, Aylen.... that assignment you were talking about? I have my part in my file. I don't really know how to elaborate much on it, but I did my best."

"Don't worry about it. You did your part, I'll take care of the rest." Aylen reached out for the file, but Sorina was faster. The blonde flipped through the printed out notes, her eyelined eyes widening slightly. "Whoa, girl. That's much more than me. You sure you did this yourself?"

"What do you think? Three pages, that's all I could deliver. Take it or leave it." Jade scooped up her bag with a sigh, holding out her hand to receive her file. "There's nothing for me to do here, I'm going to the cyber cafe. What about you?"

"Can't. Gotta wait for my brother," Sorina placed the file in Jade's hand with a sigh, making a face. "It's crazy trying to live with my older brother sometimes. He thinks his my bodyguard or something."

"At least it's better than a brother who constantly tries to pretend you don't exist." Aylen closed her laptop with a 'click', an air of finality about her. "I'm just waiting for the day where he chases me out of the house." Picking up her sling bag and putting the laptop away, she walked off, giving a wave without looking back. "I'm heading home."

"And I'm out of here. The cyber world awaits." Jade grinned and sidestepped a lunge from Sorina, hurrying out of there before she could be persuaded to keep the girl company. Unfortunately for her, she didn't see where she was going and ran smack into someone, dropping the file she was carrying.

"Be careful." A familiar voice rumbled and she looked up into a familiar visage of cerulean eyes and silver hair. But the easy-going warmth and mischief was missing, leaving only a cool, calculative look. That and the clothes had changed to black slacks and a neatly tucked-in blue shirt. The top two buttons were open, giving her a glimpse of a chain and rather large ruby pendant, something she remembered Dante wearing as well.

"Dante...?"

"No." He sighed irritably and ran a hand through his hair to slick it back. "I am not to be confused with the fool of my brother, though it can't be helped since he used up my bottle of gel yesterday. My name is Vergil."

"Oh, um... sorry." Jade dipped her head slightly in sheepish apology and brushed by him to get to the lifts, but Vergil stopped her again.

"Hold on. Is this yours?" He had gone down on his knees to pick up her forgotten file. His cool eyes swept over the colourful notes in her neat handwriting, then stopped and lingered over a drawing of a young angel she had placed in front of everything. "You're an artist?"

"No, it's just a hobby." Jade hurried back and took her file from him, haphazardly pushing everything back inside while murmuring a "thanks". Damn, she'd have to rearrange everything again when she got back home. "I don't draw much, really don't have the talent to. But sometimes inspiration just hits me and I can't help but pick up the pencil."

"Nevertheless, it's a good drawing. Tell me, this is the Business Communication class, isn't it?" Vergil stood, regarding the female that stood before him. Slightly short for her age, lean body suggested she ran often and had poor eating habits, not at all that pretty, but easy on the eyes. Her gaze suggested intelligence and a good memory, but her posture hinted a bit of laziness. A very interesting girl.

"Yeah, but the lecturer cancelled, and no one knew." Jade shrugged. "Anyway, there's a list for the attending students to write their names down on so they knows who came today and who didn't."

"Thank you." And without a another word, Vergil entered the classroom, leaving her alone. Blinking at his back, the girl shrugged before leaving to head to the mall. Ten minutes later and she plonked her bag down on the comfy seat at the back of the Cyber Cafe, listening briefly to the shouts of Counter Strike and Dota players before opening her own online game.

Her Perfect World awaited, and her Were Fox smiled at her.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like how you captured the differences between Dante and Vergil. Your story is nice and easy to follow yet it holds you in to make you want to read the next chapter. It's not complicated so it doesn't lose you, yet it's descriptive to allow your imagination to build the scene in your mind. Talent is being descriptive in just a couple of sentences. You capture it nicely. Any bad points? Yes. I'm not in it! XD I probably don't come into it until chapter 4 ;)

Jade Trinity said...

*grins* Chapter 4, huh? But of course! XDDD We'll need to have a chat about that, though. ;) Can't have baby Nero running around now, can we? *giggles*