Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Uh, Really Random...

A/N: Yes... really random. This is what comes out of my brain at 3:50 am in the morning.

And for that matter... I'm still not sleepy.

3 December 2008: I know the ending sucks, but I kinda lost my feel for this, sorry.....
____________________________________________________________________

"You should not have opened the box, Dante." Jade said from behind him, her voice sounding weak and sick. "You should NOT have opened it... it's like a Pandora's box...."

Dante didn't listen to her, his breathing erratic and his hand curled into a fist. Anger rode off him in waves; it was almost stifling to be in the same room with him. "Fuck humans..." he growled, turning to smash his fist into the wall. "Fuck humans! Ungrateful bastards-!"

"There is a chance, Dante." Jade cut him off. "There's still a chance for Vergil, I know it..." She regained her composure and stared down at her hands. "After all, I'm still alive, aren't I?"

Dante turned to her in disbelief. "You still forgive those scientists.. after what they did to you?!"

Jade didn't reply, her emerald eyes looking haunted. She knew. Yes, she knew and understood how he felt, but it wasn't going to change anything. "What's done is done... we can't change what happened, alright..?" Five years ago, she had been captured by human scientists, ironically. The people she had worked so hard to protect had captured her and run sickening tests on her.

Five years ago, Vergil had been found, unconscious and malnourished. Since the fall of Mundus, he had been trapped in Hell, but managed to find a way out, after a long time. Having been found by the wrong people, he had been a test subject, an experiment to find out what he really was.

It was escaping from a nightmare into a worse one. Throughout his time in the underground lab, he was in a light coma from the trauma his body had suffered, and he moaned and called out in his sleep. Two names stood out, but one was repeated more than the other. Dante... and Jade.

Half-demon by Vergil's blood, Jade was found when he gave away her cover. By letting him loose one night, he had stumbled half-consiously to where she was, only by locating her scent. Jade had fought off the soilders the best that she could, even going as far as to Devil Trigger, but she could not bring herself to kill them, and was taken into captivity along with Vergil.

All kinds of experiments were performed on the half-demon hybrids. They wanted to see if other blood could be fused with theirs, and Jade was forced to endure pain, forced to watch countless animals die, innocent orphans be killed from the heartless breeding experiments. She was raped, again and again, the same things happening to Vergil.

It wasn't long till their funds ran out, and they decided to be rid of Jade, just because she was making little progress than Vergil was. And to kill her, they stunned her, then tossed her into a waste pool laced with chemicals and blood from the dead test subjects before she could recover. The pool would be flushed later on to rid it of it's "trash". When she did recover, she Devil Triggered to save herself, and something happened.

It could be the chemicals, it could have been the results of being injected with so many types of fused blood, human, demons and animals, but a tail grew in place of her legs, gills appearing on the side of her neck. Her eyes turned a dead greyish red, claws appeared, and so did the webs between her fingers and on her ears. The scientists were delighted at it and fished her out, keeping her in a large, round tank for the rest of the days to come. They considered throwing Vergil in the waste pool as well, but some of their colleagues protested, claiming that more tests should be run on him first.

Jade was their prize. They dressed her up, put her on show as a freak of nature, collecting money to run their cruel tests on more demons. It wasn't one day when the "Mermaid Princess", fake pearls adorning her head in a tiara, twisted in her hair, around her wrists and tail was being shown off as usual in a freak circus, that she saw a flash of silver hair.

It was then she knew who had returned from Fortuna. She called for him, unseen tears in her eyes as she swam agitatedly around, crying out for him to save her, though she knew he couldn't hear her. But Dante had noticed, and he had walked slowly up to her tank, staring at her as though mesmerized. He placed a hand on the glass questioningly, and she pressed hers to his in vain, pleading with him through her eyes. He didn't understand at first, she could see it, but the more he stared at her, the more he regconized her, and she saw ice blue eyes widen in regconition. "Jade?!" He had exclaimed and she had nodded before someone in charge came to lead Dante away.

It was clear that Vergil's twin had been regconized, and eager for a fresher subject, the scientists wanted him.

They wanted Dante, and it was Dante they got.

The devil hunter stormed into their lab with unleashed fury a few days after gaining information of what had been done, no doubt from the Underworld itself. Everyone was destroyed, not a building was left standing, as he brought Jade and Vergil out. Jade was well enough to walk after going out of her Devil Trigger, but it was clear that she had lost her Devil Form forever. She was human out of the water, and was healing rapidly, but Vergil was still in a traumatized state.

Dante dropped onto the sofa next to her and pulled her close, burying his head in her hair. "I'm sorry I didn't come home earlier... Yamato was with Nero in Fortuna and I was so stupid to think I could find my brother there if I stayed long enough.."

"It's not your fault." Jade pointed out gently. "No one knew he would bust his way out of Hell alone. Well, it was predictable, but..." She fell silent, then spoke again in a cheery voice to cheer him up. "Why don't we bring him to the sea? You know... get out and breathe in the fresh air once in a while, enjoy the peaceful enviroment... swim for a bit..."

Dante gave her a faint smile.
____________________________________________________________________

Vergil stared at nothing in particular as Dante coaxed him out of the car. The cool sea breeze blew softly on them, ruffling his hair back as the cry of seagulls reached his ears. It was peaceful here, truly peaceful, and he found the nightmares that were haunting him flee his mind for once, leaving him free. He sat down in the sand and stared out at the open air, watching the sea crash against the beach in gentle waves.

"Hey, Jade! You be careful up there!" Dante's warning voice made him turn and he watched Jade scramble up a large outcropping of rock while Dante surveyed her lithe body.

Clad in a bikini and a shirt, Jade stuck her tongue out at him and waved. "I'm a big girl, Dante! I can handle myself!"

"Still, you better be careful or....."

Their gay voices lightened up Vergil's heart greatly, and a tiny smile crossed his features. He had worried for Jade immensely when she was in the lab with him... and worried for Dante too, should his younger brother be caught as well, but they were free now. Mundus was gone, the lab and scientists were gone, they were free from the suffering and pain and could live happily.

His eyes returned to Jade, who had reached the top of the rock and was pulling off her shirt, tossing it to Dante. She stretched, paused, then leaped and made a dive into the sea, her legs transforming into a gleaming tail in mid-air before she disappeared under with a splash. Ten minutes passed and she didn't surface, and all of a sudden she burst out of the water in a spetacular backward arc, the droplets of water shining in the sunlight.

Jade looked free, free and beautiful with complete freedom to swim and leap and dive whenever she wanted. Her Devil Trigger form had been altered, but to Vergil, this mermaid form suited her the most. It was beautiful to him, although humans considered it frightening.

"Enjoying the view, are we, bro?" Dante's grinning visage appeared in his line of sight and he scowled, unhappy at having being disturbed. Without an invitation, his brother sat down beside him, watching Jade as well.

"You know, when I first found you, I wanted to know what they did to Jade and you." Dante shook his head ruefully. "Then I found out that I didn't want to know at all. I saw those tapes, Vergil. I saw them, and it made me sick. I think I wanted to just go out and kill every human in sight, but.... Jade reminded me that there are good humans out there, like Lady.. and Enzo, though he seriously needs a lipo suction."

He chuckled and leaned back, sighing. "When are you going to start talking, Verge? I've been doing the talking for a month now, and you're still not responding. C'mon... say something to me. Heck, even a bitch-slap would be welcome. Anything to tell me you're still in there, bro."

If Vergil was listening, he made no sign of it, his ice-blue eyes trained on the sea, staring out at nothing. Jade was swimming below the surface and hadn't risen since her last leap.

"It really isn't fair because you left alone all those years and I had to take care of her, since the last incident in Temen-Ni-Gru.. and talking about that, I'm glad Lady hasn't dropped by since. I'd hate to listen to her bitching about me owing her cash......."

Dante's insistent chatter was starting to grind on his ears a bit and Vergil gave a small, unnoticable twitch.

"... And I'm guilty to Jade too, leaving her for a few years alone with Lady. It wasn't really my fault, though. I'd say it's yours, because you were the cause of my amnesia......."

There was a splash and Jade's head appeared from under the water as she took a deep breath and pushed her wet hair and water out of her eyes. The sight almost made Vergil smile again.

"... But I find that over the years of your absence, I may have fallen in love with our little Jade baby-"

"Shut up."

"Yeah, I know I- what...?" Dante stopped mid-sentence and turned to look disbelievingly at Vergil. "Did you just... speak?"

Identical eyes turned to look at him and Vergil scowled. "I said shut up. You talk too much as always. What I needed was rest, both mentally and physically, and your ranting did not help one bit with my condition. So could you just shut that pie-hole you call a mouth for once, and let me heal in peace?!"

Dante stared at his brother in shock. After the long silence, hearing so many words come from his brother was something to be celebrated, a miracle to shout about. "Jade!!!" Before her knew it, he was up and running to where Jade drifted lazily with the tide. "Jade, he spoke! Vergil just spoke! And he cursed me!!!!! He cursed me, you hear? It's a miracle!"

Vergil fought the urge to facepalm and roll his eyes as his younger twin went about screaming and shouting, dragging Jade out of the water. It wasn't long before he was pulled into a tight bear hug by said man, with Jade watching sheepishly.

Again, said man ended up bitch-slapped just because he had requested it earlier.

"I'm not mentally ill, if that's what you're thinking." Vergil explained later on. "True, I'm still traumatized by what happened, but I'm healing nicely.. if you'd just give me some peace and quiet. It isn't easy to close your eyes and heal when someone keeps yapping in your ear all day long, though it does provide a good distraction from the nightmares."

"You cocky bastard..." Dante finally said after closing his gaping jaw. "You never once responded to me! I was so..."

Worried. The word hung in the air in silence for a while without him having to say it. Then, whithout warning, Jade leaned over and enveloped Vergil in a hug, hiding her face in his neck. the Blue Devil looked surprised and slightly awkward, looking up rapidly at Dante for help before hesitantly putting his arms around her to pat her back.

Dante snickered.

Jade was silent for the first few minutes, the cool drops of her tears falling on his warm skin, before she lifted her head and smiled at him, her eyes brimming with tears, but clear. "I'm so glad... Welcome back, Vergil."

And before he knew it, she was kissing him.

Dante was laughing when Jade broke away, red-faced before escaping to the water again, calling for them to join her. A slow smile broke across Vergil's face as he got up and followed her and his brother.

He was home at last.... and his nightmares were over....

No comments: